Friday, June 4, 2010

They Should Have Sent a Poet...

I spent the morning nervously waiting to head off with my mom and sister so I could try on and possibly buy my wedding dress. Finally the time came and we drove down to Bella Vista on Gervais St. where I had an 11 o'clock appointment.


I was strangely nervous. I don't know why. I guess it was because this was something I had never done before and I completely understood the importance of getting a dress that works.

Apparently I was also quite frantic over what type of underwear to wear, but that proved to be a pointless fret as the bridal consultant who helped me let me dress myself. Hooray for southern manners I suppose.

Now I know a lot of women are probably going to be a little aghast at what I'm about to say, but...

after 2 hours and only 10 dresses, I found the one.

I've heard stories about women shopping for months, trying on dozens and dozens of dresses.

I was not going to do that.

I didn't get my hopes up too high that I would find a dress at Bella Vista, and was completely prepared to try a few other places, but well...now I have a dress and it's just wowzers.

The whole time I tried on dresses, I reaffirmed something I had always known about my sense of style: what I love on paper/magazine/runway very seldom looks good on me. It's the ugly stuff that works.

Now don't get me wrong. This dress isn't ugly. It's just not at all what I had in mind. But it's perfect and I just knew it was the one. Besides it made my mama and sister cry. It was the only one that made them cry. So I guess it was a winner.

Well after all that, where I was rather reserved and not emotional at all, I came home.

I wanted to watch a movie and so I put in Contact.


I forgot how much I cry when I watch that film.

Apparently I had a whole bottle of emotions, fueled by stress and worry and it just pretty much exploded all over the pillow on the couch.

There's something about the hope and imaginative abandon that is required to understand our existence: it tears deeply at me.

I think my emotional state these days has quite a razor's edge and it's probably not a good idea to watch such desperately beautiful and poignant films.

So here's some pictures of space to make me happy.

Enjoy! The Star, Vega


The Lightning Galaxy


NGC 1672
a barred galaxy in the southern constellation Dorado





No comments:

Post a Comment