Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Dry Thunder

If you consider the heat index it's been well over 105 for nearly 5 days now. Now, yes, this is at the peak of the heat during the middle of the afternoon, but nonetheless, that's hot.

This may sound like I'm complaining. On the contrary. I'm pretty tired of hearing people complain about the heat and it's not even officially summertime yet. This is why A/C was invented and if you can't afford that or yours doesn't work then perhaps living in SC isn't the best place for you, eh?

Right now it's thundering like mad. I remember nearly every summer you could 'look forward' to the endless pounding of a summer thunderstorm. For hours the rain would just pour down and the lightning and thunder would be chaos and fear and great beauty all mixed up. I enjoyed nothing more than reading Nancy Drew books in my den of a bedroom, head right next to the window, listening to the storm rage.

I would feel separate and distant from everyone and everything except the world in my book and the power of Nature outside. I think a lot of us still desire this sort of escape. Obligations and expectations and the money-driven cycle of adulthood seems to keep us from the intensity of wonder that, as adolescents/young adults we experienced nearly every day.

Now it takes sacrifice to indulge. Budgeting out a small parcel of your time to try and vanish, even for just a moment...

No comments:

Post a Comment